Tuesday, 26 August 2008

Definitely, Maybe

Something got me thinking the other day... how do you know if someone's 'The One'?

I've seen many Christian couples who have ended up married to the first person they date. And I think "How lucky it is to have it right on the first go!" None of the extra baggage from previous broken relationships... never experiencing their hearts being broken or the nights spent crying before they go to sleep...

After all that, I just want to be sure the next time round (if there is one). Because being in The Game becomes somewhat like a suspense thriller or a whodunit. You subconsciously second guess their every move & watch your back - you don't know what might take you by surprise. Somehow the ones who hide in the corner end up being caught out & those who put their bodies on the line end up victorious after coming away with cuts & bruises (Think Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer... you get the drift). 'Definitely' can quickly turn to just a 'maybe' & then to 'not a chance' when things start going sour.

Ultimately, we can't be sure of anything, even as much as we pray about it. Sometimes we hope that God would just make it clearer & that we won't have to go through the same thing again. Sometimes we don't understand why God puts us through that even though we've pleaded Him not to. Though frustrating at times, I take comfort in the fact that He directs our every path & that if we hold tightly, we can be sure that that path will lead to glory.

2 comments:

Julienne said...

You're describing romance as a suspense thriller? hehehe I'm amused and slightly worried.

what you're describing is a lack of trust.

I usually just jump into a relationship - hoping, wishing and praying that it'll work out.

It's a gamble, really.

Jess Joseph said...

I jump & hope for the best, I usually believe the best in people until they prove me wrong. I'm either too trusting or too naive, so being wary is good for now.

Hopefully I'll have my eyes open when I jump next time.

Post a Comment