Sunday, 7 June 2009

Assault

After a beautiful day out at Summer Hill yesterday, we ventured out into the city for the Vivid Sydney festival at the Opera House.

As I was walking out of Town Hall station, I noticed a teenage girl, hardly 18 years old, following me out. As I walked up the stairs onto the small platform just beneath Town Hall, the girl mumbled something to me inaudibly. Before I knew it, I saw her fist coming straight at my head. I felt the impact just near my temple. Then another one came flying at me & hit just above my cheekbone. It all happened so quickly, but I remember the thought that flashed through my mind - "Do I hit her back??? How do I defend myself???" At this point in time, 2 guards came out of nowhere & pinned her against the wall kicking & spewing out coarse words. They asked if I wanted the police, but I didn't want to cause any more trouble so I chose not to pursue the matter further.

This happened while my friends were only just above me waiting for me at the entrance to Town Hall. Even as I related the incident to them, I was still so shaken up that I was almost in tears & I felt myself shaking slightly (my body involuntarily does this when something upsets or shocks me quite badly). My head still hurts the day after.

Now that I've had the time to replay it over in my mind, I realise that if the 2 guards hadn't shown up at the opportune time, I probably would have been bruised quite badly. I was never taught self-defence in Singapore since it's such a safe country to live in. Furthermore, it's not in my nature or instinct to fight back. This realisation scares me. What if something like this happens again?

As Christians, how are we meant to react to physical or verbal assault? As described in the gospel & in 1 Peter, Jesus did not retaliate when he was on the road to the Cross. I somehow think that there's a difference between taking insults & abuse for the sake of the gospel, & not fighting back when someone strikes at you first. But I can't put my finger on what it is or how to explain it. It's something I've always struggled with. Where is the line between giving up our 'rights' & defending ourselves (against physical or verbal abuse)? How does this apply to a misunderstanding or an argument?

Thank God I didn't suffer any major bruising. But I might get my head checked out if it's still hurting after the long weekend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment