The preachers at Engage Conference over the last 2 years seem to have the same message for Christian men - grow up, move out from under your parent's home, find a godly Christian woman & get married. While much of what was preached was true, it somehow seemed to also convey the message that marriage shows true maturity in a person, particularly in men.
While I do have great respect for those preachers, I'm going to take a little controversial stand by saying that I think that they've got it backwards. For those who do end up married, it is not maturity which gets them there, rather it is marriage which will bring forth maturity in them. In our Christian circle, marriage is placed on a pedastal & so much attention is given to dating couples to 'get their act together & get married!'. Though we preach that marriage is never easy, I don't think we realise just how difficult it really is, even when both parties are godly individuals. Marriage shines the light on our sinful & selfish hearts. Learning to bear with one another, live harmoniously & make compromises in a marriage relationship forces you to grow up more quickly than you might expect & you might be in for a rude awakening!
Getting engaged or married is not a sure sign of maturity. I know many godly Christian men who are very mature & who are able to support & look after themselves while living at home. It is the nature of a man's heart, the way he treats his sisters in Christ before marriage & the way he leads his life before God which show godly Christian maturity.
Much can also be said about Christian women, but it is the spiel to the men which always seems to cause this misconception.
While I do have great respect for those preachers, I'm going to take a little controversial stand by saying that I think that they've got it backwards. For those who do end up married, it is not maturity which gets them there, rather it is marriage which will bring forth maturity in them. In our Christian circle, marriage is placed on a pedastal & so much attention is given to dating couples to 'get their act together & get married!'. Though we preach that marriage is never easy, I don't think we realise just how difficult it really is, even when both parties are godly individuals. Marriage shines the light on our sinful & selfish hearts. Learning to bear with one another, live harmoniously & make compromises in a marriage relationship forces you to grow up more quickly than you might expect & you might be in for a rude awakening!
Getting engaged or married is not a sure sign of maturity. I know many godly Christian men who are very mature & who are able to support & look after themselves while living at home. It is the nature of a man's heart, the way he treats his sisters in Christ before marriage & the way he leads his life before God which show godly Christian maturity.
Much can also be said about Christian women, but it is the spiel to the men which always seems to cause this misconception.
0 comments:
Post a Comment