Monday, 30 July 2007

'Jess-Sized'

Someone coined that term a few months ago when I was holding a corn-on-a-stick at the Easter Show. I looked at the size of the thing in my hand & said, "It's huge. Don't they have smaller sizes?"

The term hasn't really stuck around much. I don't think I mind it all that much, but I've recently been wondering -- what do people notice when they look at me? One of the first things someone said to me after meeting me for the first time was that they noticed I was quite petite.

I've never really been all that self-conscious about my height or size, but I must admit that sometimes I do feel quite small. Not just physically, but that somehow I don't seem to measure up... that I'm more insignificant because of it. Do people take you less seriously when you're small? I'm also more aware of my small frame when I'm around a lot of other girls.

I know that as Christians, we're not supposed to feel like that. God made us each in His own image & uniquely different. We shouldn't worry about our self-image. And the fact that I compare myself with other girls makes it unhelpful & it might stem from the ungodly desire of seeking attention from others.

I am reminded of these verses:

Pro 31:30 "Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."

1Pe 3:3-4 "Do not let your adorning be external -- the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing -- but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

True beauty lies within. I should take the time to cultivate the inner beauty which lasts eternally. I hope that even if people notice my small frame, the words I speak would be gentle, seasoned with salt, full of wisdom & giving grace to those who hear, so that that itself would override all of the unimportant & superficial outward appearance.

1 comments:

clive said...

David (& Goliath)
Zaccheus

stature comes from faith.

Post a Comment