Saturday, 11 August 2007

Like Moses

I've always known that I'm not one with words. As eloquent as I try to be, I find myself stumbling over words, stuttering or struggling to find the right words to express myself. Sometimes I wonder if I come across as a babbling idiot when I talk to people.

Maybe it's a sign of a lack of confidence? Or maybe it's just the way God has created me to be. Maybe I should see a speech pathologist or something...

But I wonder how this lack of eloquence might deter me from doing Word ministry. How can I explain the gospel or answer difficult questions if I can't express myself clearly to others? I stumble over just the casual chit-chat with friends.
It's more prevalent when I'm a little intimidated or uncomfortable, or when talking to people who do have a right way with words. It's quite disappointing because all I want is for my lips to speak the truth in love & for my words to honour God.

Then I think of Moses' meeting with God at he burning bush:
Exo 4:10-12 But Moses said to the LORD, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue."
Then the LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."


I know God can use me in whatever way He wants. Maybe I'm not cut out for Word ministry, or maybe I am. Or maybe I should redefine Word ministry & not put it into a box. Every Christian should be doing Word ministry in some form by talking to others about Jesus.

I don't know if I've got anything else to say on this subject...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

The apostle Paul (argueably a pretty big deal in the Bible)describes himself as "unskilled in speaking" (2 Cor 11:6)... His main thesis in 2 Cor seems to be defending himself against the tirade of condemnation/derision that is being levelled against him because he is not as articulate or fancy as the 'superapostles'. He argues that we must stop judging ministry and ministers in 'fleshly' terms 2 Cor 11:18(just as we must no longer view Christ in such terms 2 Cor 5:16)His boast is not in lofty speech but in his weakness (2 Cor 11:30)Don't get sucked into the world's way of viewing the ministry of the Word. It's about your heart, not your ability to string a sentence together. Perhaps we are putting our preachers on a pedestal for their oration and not their godly leadership? Take heart little sister. You have much to say.

Post a Comment