Monday, 10 November 2008

Running on Empty

Being the romantic that I am, I'd like to say that I believe in the words crooned by The Beatles - that love is all you need. Sadly, this is contrary to the experience I've had in this broken world. You hurt the ones you love & those whom you love fail to reciprocate your affections.

Yes, love is not a state of emotion but it's a heart & mind-driven state of determination to seek the good of the other. And I've realised that you can give all you think you have, & yet that's not enough. It leaves you confused & doubtful - maybe it's naiviety. I believed that unconditional love, patience & genuineness can soften hearts. But God has chosen to make us all different in our temperaments - sometimes all of that can't break through that barrier. Perhaps it was never really selfless in the first place, since eventually I hoped for something in return.

Letting go of a love you've held for 4 years is difficult. What do you do when you feel you've got nothing more to give than what's already been given?

I pray that God would still fill me with His love each day, that I would remember the true love that is found in Jesus. For in this relationship, it is I who has rejected The One who loves. There's more than romantic love & that is the love you can extend to brothers & sisters in Christ. I pray that God will still fill that part of me when I feel that I'm running on empty.

1 comments:

Julienne said...

agape love.

Post a Comment