Sunday, 1 February 2009

The Left Behind

It's been slightly challenging with the recent changes in my living situation & search for a new church. It can be difficult & uncomfortable visiting a church when you're single & in your mid-twenties. People around me & even younger than me are either married or engaged. It may not be on the top of my priority list, but I'd like to go where there are people my age I can relate to. I miss the community & regular fellowship of a Christian family & being involved in church activities & ministries. So often church is catered towards the youth or families, but those in the middle are left on their own to find opportunities for fellowship. It is generally easier to fit in at church as part of a youth group or family, but visiting & sometimes attending a church on your own requires a little more effort to find ways to get to know people, especially if there aren't many whose circumstances in life are similar to yours.

Having my family overseas has never been easy. Sure, I've always loved the independence I have in Sydney. But having family to fall back on in times of loneliness is always a blessing. It's so important even when you're dating to take little steps to have your family involved in your relationship. I've never had that here & not only has there been less support but also fewer people at home to keep us both accountable & to encourage the relationship. The guys I've dated here have never really got to know my parents & my dad has not had a chance to have the talk that goes along the lines of "If you ever hurt my daughter...". There isn't anyone for either of us to explain things to if things go pear-shaped. Couples who don't let their family get involved are less likely to succeed in building a good relationship. Despite the excuse of trying to shield their family from hurt from the possibility of a break-up, it shows a lack of confidence in the relationship & I'd be cautious to date someone like that. But the point is, I sometimes feel Iike I've been left alone in Sydney without my family. Which is why relationships I form here are important for me.

I see lots of friends making grand plans & changes for the future. They have dreams & are in the process of fulfilling them. Ultimately, our goal should be to grow in godliness & look to the hope of heaven. God has a plan far greater than those we have for ourselves. But sometimes I wish some of my dreams here in this world could be fulfilled. Maybe I need to take more risks in my life & to set myself a goal, be it taking up a new degree or a new hobby. I don't want to forget that these aren't cures for loneliness. But one of the temptations single Christians can face is putting our lives on hold. I don't want to look back in 10 years time & feel like I've been left behind.

2 comments:

Julienne said...

hey! I was thinking about that today, too.

I thought of how I am always thinking/day dreaming about my future and making 'grand' plans (and acting on them - making things happen), and vowing to succeed in whatever I decide to do with my life.

It's a pity that I don't have the same enthusiasm when it comes to ministry or my own christian growth. I must remember the ultimate goal and not let selfish goals interrupt God's plans for me...

As for church - I'll keep praying for you.

Jess Joseph said...

I was told that it's slightly harder for women to plan 'cos it's almost like they have to make 2 different ones. If they get married, it's more likely that their plans for work, etc. would change more than the other way round.

But yes, we should be making plans with the acknowledgment that we're not in control of them.

Thanks for the prayers. :)

Post a Comment