Thursday, 26 February 2009

PMS Rant

There are 12 times a year when I wish I weren't a woman. Cramps, sore backs & emotional swings are all symptoms of crazy hormones. My mood often gets me into feeling sorry for myself & wishing I could have someone to cuddle & cry for no particular reason. The result is I think about stuff which I try to forget as it becomes easier to pick up on triggers.

(This is the part where I go off on a slight rant becau
se I'm a little emo. I wrote an actual post with a rant but decided to spare you that).

I envy couples where the practice of patience is so evident in their
relationship. PMS is definitely not an excuse for poor & childish attitudes, but when my other half is at least trying to be more patient & understanding during those times, it can make a lot of difference to my mood. What a married Christian woman writes amuses me & resonates with my thoughts too:

"The thing most affected by my PMS is my relationship with M. He gets so irritated with me when I’m like this. He feels like I set out to pick fights with him. I seriously don’t mean to, and I don’t think the things we “fight” about are completely unreasonable. I just think I’m not nearly as easy going about his antics as I am the rest of the month. So because I am slightly less tolerant of him during “that time”, then all of sudden it is all my fault. I think I should be considered a saint for putting up with him so easily the entire rest of the month, not penalized for when I don’t/can’t…sigh!

We actually had a “discussion” about this last night. I just told him that I would really appreciate it if he could just cut me a break when I’m feeling like this. 99% of the time when I get like that, I just need a hug and a little reassurance that everything’s going to be ok. However, his method of dealing with me usually involves him getting defensive which leads to him pointing out how b__chy I am acting… you can imagine how well that goes over.

But I know I can’t put all the blame on him. I also need to do my part at controlling myself during those times. The biggest thing I know I can do is to SHUT MY MOUTH. Just.stop.talking. PMS causes major diarrhea of the mouth for me and I just keep talking and stressing my point, because geez, I know I’m right!!! I want him to admit I’m right too! So I will try and just remember that my mood is probably affecting my logic so I need to just pick my battles and let go of the things that aren’t important.

For him, he decided he wants me to let him know when it’s my emotional time of the month so he can do his best to react differently. I can do that, but there is certainly the part of me that wishes he knew me enough to just be able to tell, but I guess that’s why marriage is not perfect right from the beginning, right? That’s why it takes couples many years to learn all the emotional intricacies of your spouse. I guess that sort of improvement is something special to look forward to at least. I imagine after we’ve been married for 50-60 years, we will know each other like the back of our hand. Granted, I certainly wont be PMS-ing then anymore either…ahh, I can’t wait for that day!"


I can hear most women saying 'amen' to that. But I wonder what the men think?

Sigh... PMS? Please More Spirit!



P.S. The image is courtesy of my friend, Julz (read the comment). Life can be a batch sometimes. :)

2 comments:

Julienne said...

haha are you sure I didn't write this? :P

here's funny quote "Should you trust something that bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die?"

err... the word verification is "batch"... if you replace the a with i...

how convenient for this post hehe.

(i'll email you the screenshot).

Jess Joseph said...

Love it!

'Life's a batch'... better than the first suggestion, huh? I totally can't imagine myself saying 'to all the batches out there'. Hahaha

Post a Comment