My colleagues & I have a thing for penguins. And it's not just because they're cute & clumsy birds in tuxedos.The conversation was sparked last year when someone quoted a scene from 'Friends' the TV show. Phoebe's comment was that Ross was Rachel's lobster, in other words, her soul mate for life. To our disappointment, one of us did some further research & found out that lobsters don't really mate for life (what are TV shows feeding children these days???). But we know that penguins on the other hand, do in fact have one partner in their lifetime.
In the movie 'Definitely, Maybe', the 10-year-old girl mentions to her dad the very same fact. "Did you know that penguins mate for life? They can be apart for years, but they always manage to find each other again."
[Warning: Spoiler ahead] My heart broke for the best friend in the movie. She loved him & when he loved another she held her head high & tried to be happy for him, to be there as his friend. And he realised he loved her later, only to hurt her again & she had to walk away. But he came back eventually because he knew that there was no one else like her who could truly love him the way she did. Though I do not agree with divorce, she turned out to be his penguin in the end.
We all want our own penguin. My colleague even printed out a picture of 'Happy Feet' for us girls - it's still near my window. I thought it was funny at the time. Each penguin weathers harsh conditions after the courtship to finally reunite after being separated (March of the Penguins) & are still drawn towards each other despite. In the sea of black & white, how do they figure out who is THE penguin in the first place?
Maybe I'm a lone & lost penguin for the moment, floating on ice. In the midst of trusting God with my life, I still hope that He might lead me to THE Penguin. Even if He doesn't, I pray that I will still be content with being with my Maker.
4 comments:
Ah, I remember that quote from Friends. The one with the prom video. hehe.
When Dave and I watched Definitely, Maybe - I said to him "I'm April!" hehe.
aww Jess, I'm sure you'll meet THE penguin one day, if not, like you said, you'll be content with THE Creator.
I saw a review for this movie/musical called 'Mama Mia!'. Can we go see it together or something? I love movies like that! :)
sure, I love musicals in general, though, I haven't been to many so let's start going!
btw, I'm not really April, I'm just April in a sense that I was his best friend... not that I'd ever be as selfless and strong as April.
I can think of someone who is... her name also starts with a J... and ends with an a. :)
That's very cool. Ending up with your best friend is simply the sweetest thing. :)
I'm on high today... just feeling like singing & praising God. Love days like these!
Post a Comment